Thursday, December 5, 2013

How to make a Party Hat

I'm a total DIY freak.

Ask Josh, our bank account, and our local Michael's cashiers. I'm actually shocked they don't know my name yet.
Anyway, as Ab's birthday approached, I totally wanted to make a birthday hat for her. And not because store-bought ones are bad, I just love making things! So i found a few sites on Pinterest showing how to make a party hat. AND I had some coupons to Joann's Fabric and Michael's....it was basically the glory of God speaking to me, "Go spend money."
It was that pesky little devil on my shoulder.
So I did!

STEP 1:

Stapler
Rope for the bottom (optional)
Elastic to hold the hat up
Glue gun
Elmer's Adhesive Spray ($4 @ Michael's)
Scissors
Fabric
Party Hat Template
Cardboard (I used a cereal box)
Yarn
a silly baby (must-have)
click here for template! 

STEP 2: 
Use the template to cut out a cardboard template.
Use adhesive spray to stick the new template on the fabric. This spray is VERY sticky! So do it on top of something you don't mind getting ruined.
Hot glue the extra fabric around the template onto the back. (You'll see in next picture)

STEP 3:
Roll the cardboard so it forms a hat.
Use the glue gun to let it stick.
Take the elastic and measure how long you want it.
Use stapler to get it to stay in the hat. I also tie a knot at the end and hot glued it so that puppy wasn't going anywhere!
I used a little rope with pom poms to glue around the hat. Do whateva ya wanna do!


STEP 4:
I made a little pom-pom on top. Do whatever you like though :)

So while this is all going on, Abigail is playing in her room around me....and doing whatever she can to get to the hot glue gun. Seriously, how do children know what NOT to grab? She's brilliant.

I go grab some gold fish to manipulate her, because that's what mommy's do, ya know?

Okay great, it's working! She's staying away from the hot glue. I'll just carry on with my business.
5 seconds of not looking at her and I find this:


So I look at her and ask her why she's gone fishin'? 
And she looks at me with this:


She makes life so much more enjoyable.

Happy DIY'ing.



1 comment: